hate

Post-Jordanism: noun- The artistic (cultural?) movement which began in late 2011. Works within this deal with themes of existential crisis, identity crisis, posttraumatic stress disorder, the state of being broken, intrusive thoughts of (non)existent(?) memory, the morbid preoccupation with suicide, grief, uncontrollable emotion, and darkness as a simple abstract concept. ex. 1: "Kill me."

Monday, April 23, 2012

On Writing in Octave Pentameter, Sonnets

In a conversation with a dear friend of mine, I went and invented a new type of sonnet. I mean, it wasn't exactly hard or anything.

On Writing in Octave Pentameter (Sonnets)

Octave Pentameter (or Octapentameter, which would probably be more accurate) is the art of writing in eights and fives. This technique has been used in Jordan Eats Normally Now, OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING, Dark Chao Adventures, and Topography Genera. But now it can apply to sonnets!

A sonnet in octave pentameter has thirteen lines divided into two sections: Eight and Five.

The first Eight lines follow an A-B-A-B-C-D-C-D rhyming structure (though experimentation is encouraged!). Each line in the Eight section has eight syllables.

Look at me, I'm speaking a rhyme.
Fuckity fuck fuck all my fin.
Bitches don't know, but bitch runs time.
Shitty shit SWEARING IS A SIN.
Behold, this sonnet really sucks!
But then again, I'm not trying.
Quack quack quack, I REALLY LIKE DUCKS.
Time for obfuscation, CRYING!

The latter Five lines follow an E-F-G-H-E structure, so that only the first and last lines rhyme. Each line in the Five section has five syllables. But, in the Five section, every four syllables is something rhyming with the H line.

Fuck, this is where it
Gets hard, BEAR oh god.
Like snare drums, fucker.
Care you for a pear?
I LIKE TO WEAR SHIT!

Here, the H line ends with "pear," so every four syllables for the Five section is a word that rhymes with "pear."

This is what I do when I'm bored.

No comments:

Post a Comment