hate

Post-Jordanism: noun- The artistic (cultural?) movement which began in late 2011. Works within this deal with themes of existential crisis, identity crisis, posttraumatic stress disorder, the state of being broken, intrusive thoughts of (non)existent(?) memory, the morbid preoccupation with suicide, grief, uncontrollable emotion, and darkness as a simple abstract concept. ex. 1: "Kill me."

Sunday, December 18, 2011

DJay32, a retrospective (8): The Discovery of Fear

The Discovery of Fear


"A New Mythos"


In February of 2011, I received a message from troper CuteWithoutThe asking if I wanted to make an eldritch abomination for a mythos he was making. As long as it had something to do with water, it was fine. So I spent a good few weeks thinking of all these details, brainstorming monsters, and I settled on the hive minded creature known as EAT. That wasn't all, though; I was advised to blog about it, much in the style of the recent surge of slender man-related blogs online.

Jordan Eats Normally Now


Entry here. Jordan Eats took me a good ten, eleven months to make. It was about the fictional Jordan as he investigated why certain blogs have been disappearing, why a girl was now in a house thousands of miles away from her home, and what happened to his brother. It became a five-movement story with a lot of things I'm not too proud of, but it was apparently one of the most popular Fearblogs.

The Establishment of the Fear Mythos


In early March of 2011, troper alliterator suggested the eldritch abominations in our mythos be metaphorically "the embodiments of fear." We progressed from this to calling the monsters "Fears," and then to calling the whole mythos "The Fear Mythos." The other Fearbloggers-- who I affectionately like to refer to as "my colleagues" -- made dozens of amazing blogs about creative Fears. Myself, I wrote away with Jordan Eats. In May of 2011, I decided to make a short story blog to add to the pile.

Moonlit Whispers


This story was about a man nicknamed "Garth" who had been hearing odd noises in his apartment, so he started recording them to see if he could decipher them and fix them. Turned out to be The Rake. This blog was received with warm reception.

From Facebook to Tumblr: A New Kind of Fearblog


I was making Facebook notes one day when I realized it was May 21st, 2011. "The world was supposed to end in Rapture today, wasn't it?" So I received a stroke of brilliance.

OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING


Entry here. I started a new Facebook note in the style of a survival log of me trying to survive in this craaaazy apocalypse. The Rake was thrown in for the fact that it's very horror movie-esque and for no other reason. I came up with very colourful characters-- like Cockroach Jesus. This note received insane critical acclaim from everyone who read it. One thing lead to another, so I decided to make a second note continuing the story. Bam, more acclaim.

I wrote a few more notes, crafting a more complex plot than just "THE WORLD IS ENDING OH GOD." I also decided to turn it into a Fear-focused story. I needed a way to show it to more people, so I experimented with Tumblr and wound up making a nice blog for the story. I completely moved the story's focus to Tumblr, and now the story is a planned four-act epic with every Fear (up to The Eye) playing a large role.

Rapture wound up taking inspiration from everything I had previously written. It was the spiritual successor to DCA in that it shared the comedy and insane plots of the seventh season (among other things-- like it's fucking huge). It featured Fentzy and Jane in both starring their art and involving them in the story. It was often structured and paced like a video game, much like the Sean games. It had musical references so far up the ass that you could say prog is as much of a rapist as The Harlequin. And Jane. ...and.. let me move on!

This story is ongoing.

Slow Writing


I got sick of being limited to only Rapture and Jordan Eats.

Memories of a Time Beyond


Entry here. This was a story about a girl named Polly whose past was haunted by figures she only knew as "The Choir." Her life was heavily distorted, and her memories were obfuscated. In the blog, she tried to make sense of her obfuscated past. Story received generally warm reception.

Then I moved back to America on August 5th, 2011. Hung out with Eric a lot, not to mention many other friends. It didn't work out, so I returned back to England on December 3rd, where I finished Jordan Eats and have been Rapturing on and off.

With the end of Jordan Eats Normally Now came the end of an era, and it turns out it was the end of this era. Rapture's an era arc, much like Dark Chao Adventures before it; it exists in multiple eras, rather on its own timeline.

In retrospect, The Discovery of Fear gave me an amazing outlet to vent all my stresses as well as to experiment greatly with the creative new medium of blogging. This era introduced the joys of OH GOD THE RAPTURE IS BURNING, and it made me truly respect my writing talents.

What's to come: Who knows? In fact, I want to make an entry talking about brainstorms for what could possibly come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment