hate

Post-Jordanism: noun- The artistic (cultural?) movement which began in late 2011. Works within this deal with themes of existential crisis, identity crisis, posttraumatic stress disorder, the state of being broken, intrusive thoughts of (non)existent(?) memory, the morbid preoccupation with suicide, grief, uncontrollable emotion, and darkness as a simple abstract concept. ex. 1: "Kill me."

Thursday, February 16, 2012

On Marble Hornets

I JUST ORDERED THE MARBLE HORNETS PART 2 2-DISC DVDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Marble Hornets is, in my opinion, one of the greatest film trilogies of our generation. Yes, I consider them to be films. Because the credits list them as Part 1 and Part 2 (and inevitably Part 3), and that implies films. Like Back to the Future Part II or The Godfather Part III or something.

That, and c'mon, let's be honest. Say "I'm watching the second season of Marble Hornets, an internet horror series" out loud. Now say "I'm watching the internet indie horror film Marble Hornets Part 2" out loud. Which sounds more sophisticated and interesting? >W>

Anyway, Marble Hornets Part 1 was, by all means, influential and terrifying. I think we can all agree on that, can't we? ..well, yes, "terrifying" is subjective, but it was definitely influential in various ways. But a lot of people overlook Part 2. A lot of people just compare it to the first one, saying it's "not as scary" or something. But goddammit, people. Marble Hornets Part 2 is, in my opinion, way better than the first.

Because I don't look at it through emotional.. shit like "oh it's not as scary," because that's subjective, that changes. I look at its more important things like plot and character development. So much more happens, man. I mean, yes, Part 1 is still magnificent and influential, but it was only the beginning, it only established what could be done. Part 2 fucking fine-tuned that shit, and between you and me? Part 2 influenced me so much more than the first. Because I constantly went back and watched the entries from the start of 27 until the most recent point, trying to grasp my thoughts on the bigger picture, on what this might look like as a finished product.

And now that it's all over? The two-and-a-half-hour production of sheer fucking cinematographic genius? I have been so fucking influenced. I could point out how every single entry has made a difference on my writing styles, on my pacing, on my drive for telling a good story rather than keeping immersion, and ultimately on who I am as a writer.

Part 1 set the stage and the genre. Part 2 taught me how to write. ;w; And that, my friends, is why I am shitting bricks waiting for Part 3 to begin.

This is the shit we will remember for our entire lives. This is my Citizen Kane.

1 comment:

  1. I just ordered my copy as well. With the Operator symbol T-shirt!! I feel so special.

    I'm a tough person to scare, apparently. Season one didn't really frighten me all that much (but it gave a lot of my friends nightmares). Season two was a bit more interesting, in my opinion, and a couple of those TTA entries in season two creeped me out to no end. Really excited for Season three, whenever Troseph decide to start it.

    ReplyDelete