hate

Post-Jordanism: noun- The artistic (cultural?) movement which began in late 2011. Works within this deal with themes of existential crisis, identity crisis, posttraumatic stress disorder, the state of being broken, intrusive thoughts of (non)existent(?) memory, the morbid preoccupation with suicide, grief, uncontrollable emotion, and darkness as a simple abstract concept. ex. 1: "Kill me."

Thursday, September 22, 2011

On Proggasms

Something to note about my experiences with music is that I tend to spazz out and/or sweat heavily when I find a section of music that I really love. I'm not saying I headbang or dance or whatnot; I mean I sweat when I'm just sitting there, listening. After much examination of the music that invokes these reactions in me, I came to the conclusion that I tend to do it during extended instrumental sections, particularly ones that truly progress from catchy riff to atmospheric interlude to 100% wankeriffic solo to DAT UNISON to reprisal to catchy riff and back again. And if there happens to be an unconventional time signature in there somewhere? Oh god yes.

This, the experience of excitement invoked purely by overly-progressive self-indulgent wankery, is what I like to call a proggasm. An orgasm caused by prog.

I first coined the term "proggasm" in reference to Dream Theater's 2005 epic "Octavarium." As soon as the second movement ends and DAT KEYBOARD SOLO starts, I get lost in nirvana. This continues on and on and on and on and on, progressing and ebbing and flowing and spiraling all around amidst references and arpeggios and sheer unadulterated wankery before hitting movement four (Intervals). Here, my proggasm is amplified, rising exponentially as each line is sung, cultivating in the ultra-satisfying climax at the song's sole chorus ("Trapped inside this octavarium!") before coming to a very crashing Welcome-Back-To-Earth halt as the fifth movement begins. Ever since, I've been on the lookout for any other piece or section that invokes a similar reaction in me, hoping to find another equally-satisfying proggasm.

Just thought you should know.

No comments:

Post a Comment