hate

Post-Jordanism: noun- The artistic (cultural?) movement which began in late 2011. Works within this deal with themes of existential crisis, identity crisis, posttraumatic stress disorder, the state of being broken, intrusive thoughts of (non)existent(?) memory, the morbid preoccupation with suicide, grief, uncontrollable emotion, and darkness as a simple abstract concept. ex. 1: "Kill me."

Friday, September 23, 2011

"The magic is gone."

I often wonder if, after reading enough books, after listening to enough music, after watching enough films, I'll "understand" the "key" to that medium and anything I see further will lack the "magic."

Well, as I grow older and learn more of the literary archetypes and building blocks, comprehend the complexities of musical theory, and study the many arts of cinema, I've found that understanding how they work only furthers to amplify the "magic." I love "getting" what's so special to be found in art, and I especially love discovering hidden depths within works that I never would have caught had I never looked into the fundamentals of the crafts.

Looking back on history helps, too. History shows me so many works that do never-before-seen techniques, works that inspire, works that are forever to be considered "masterpieces." I realize that, in the future, the works of our time will be viewed back and thought of similarly. Knowing how expansive art is, I realize that there will always be some new technique, some new way to inspire, a myriad of new "masterpieces" to be crafted. I see this, and I enthuse in discovering where art will take us next.

What can I say? I'm a writer with a love for complex music and an enthusiasm for cinema.

1 comment:

  1. I totally and completely agree.

    There's a trope called Measuring the Marigolds which is about how people think studying something intensely will lead to that thing becoming boring; however, this isn't true. Studying something can make it appear different, but no less awesome. I can now appreciate books I couldn't when I was younger or movies I would never watch when I was a kid.

    Richard Feynman said, "The same thrill, the same awe and mystery, come again and again when we look at any problem deeply enough. With more knowledge comes deeper, more wonderful mystery, luring one on to penetrate deeper still. Never concerned that the answer may prove disappointing, but with pleasure and confidence we turn over each new stone to find unimagined strangeness leading on to more wonderful questions and mysteries—certainly a grand adventure!"

    ReplyDelete